If you haven’t noticed, I never really update my blog anymore. It’s time consuming and my trusty photog (my boyfriend) up and left for business school! I’ll still update this site periodically, but not nearly as often. I do, however, update my Tumblr page all the time. So check that out if you haven’t already: virginiaalamode.tumblr.com
On September 13, Bluemercury will commemorate its 15th Anniversary with treats, complimentary makeovers, mini facials and treatments at all its shops. Plus, the first 15 customers in each store will receive a gift from Bluemercury’s proprietary skincare line M-61: a full-sized cleanser of their choice (up to a $34 value). In addition, the store will have some amazing beauty exclusives to celebrate the anniversary including the launch of the Best Seller’s Collection, with products by NARS, Trish McEvoy, Laura Mercier, Darphin and more (it’s a $400 value that will retail for $175). Even better? The celebration will last all month long. With any $175 purchase, clients will receive a deluxe sample bag featuring some pretty amazing products (that Fresh eye cream is on point). Take a look at all you get in the free gift below. I’ll be in my local store Saturday taking advantage of all the great deals—hope to see you there!
I always have a dozen or so beauty products in rotation and, with the weather fluctuating between humid and more humid—this week is no exception. Below are a few of my fave products. Oh—and bonus! I’m giving away a box FULL of fabulous products, as part of the FabFitFun box of goodies. I’m actually giving away TWO boxes—one here, and one on my personal blog, Virginia a la Mode.
Here’s how to enter:
1. Follow me (@VChamlee) and Jax Mag (@jacksonvillemag) on Instagram.
2. Re-gram the below photo (make sure and tag @VChamlee and @jacksonvillemag so we can see that you posted it!)
3. That’s it! We’ll pick the lucky winners exactly one week from today. (And I’ll Instagram a few of the individual items throughout the next week, so you can peek inside).
Here are a few of my current favorite products…bonus: they all just happen to be included in the giveaway!
• Sonya Dakar Flash Facial : This stuff is liquid gold (literally—it retails for $95). It’s a one-minute exfoliating gel and it just happens to be Gwyneth Paltrow’s favorite beauty product.
• Zoya nail polish: Goes on easily, and it comes in a gorgeous, light orange color—perfect for Summer.
• Balanced Guru no frizz hair oil: If you live in humid Florida, you get the necessity of a good anti-frizz product.
Since I couldn’t fit it into one post… here’s part two of my Miami Swim diary.
Other highlights: Baked crab hand rolls at Katsuya, a totally insane brunch at Michael’s Genuine (where the kimchi benedict rocked my world), browsing at my favorite Miami boutique, The Webster (where I fell in love with a Chanel fanny pack and a pair of Alaia gladiators) and grabbing cucumber margaritas with my boo at our hotel, The Viceroy.
I spent the past weekend in Miami, at the tenth anniversary of Miami Swim. The weekend was fun and very busy—lots of fashion shows, presentations, late (and amazing dinners) and even a few rain storms. I luckily managed to squeeze in some time with one of my best friends and make some new ones and, of course, see a lot of skimpy bikinis and a few Real Housewives. Here’s a roundup of the highlights from Friday (events officially started on Thursday, but this was Day 1 for me).
I’ve done roundups of skincare and beauty products in the past but today, I’m offering up something a little different. I had a facial last week that absolutely transformed my skin. It was dewy days later, seemed a bit more plum, and my eyes appeared lintless. All in all, I looked, somehow, brighter. It’s all thanks to a new facial at bluemercury—The SkinCeutical Facial. The 50-minute procedure includes a minor glycolic peel (it’s pretty mild, so it’s unlike most heavy-duty peels) and layers upon layers of vitamins, antioxidants and fruit acids. There are no extractions—instead, your face is just massaged and pampered. The whole thing ends with a blast of oxygen all over your face, so your pores are clean and tight. It was seriously the best facial I’ve ever had, and I will certainly going back for another before the limited-time-only procedure expires August 31.
The cost ($95) is pretty paltry compared to the results. Book your appointments soon. Thank me later.
Here area few of my favorite Skinceuticals products, in case you’d like to attempt an at-home version of this amazing procedure.
PS. I’ll be covering Mercedes Benz Miami Swim Week starting Friday, so be sure to follow me on Instagram to keep up with all the happenings.
I’ll be going to Mercedes Benz Miami Swim Week next weekend and I am SO excited. Three straight days of fashion shows and pool parties—what could be better? A free swimsuit just might top it. I’ve partnered with Guria Beachwear to give away this super cute purple number (which retails for $140) to one lucky Instagram follower. To enter, just: 1. follow us on Instagram: @guriabeachwear, @vchamlee and @jacksonvillemag (if you don’t follow us, we might not be able to see your entries) and 2. tag us in a pic explaining your favorite way to beat the heat in the summertime!
The contest runs until next Thursday, July 17 (at which point the lucky winner will be notified—and don’t worry, we’ll be sure they get the correct size).
If you’d rather not try your luck, the suit is available locally at Well Suited Swimwear, a boutique specializing in swimwear for all body types (plus, they don’t have that horrible florescent lighting which makes even the most flattering suit look bad). The company also provides in-home personal style consultations and in-home fit and fashion parties (which can be arranged by calling Kara at 904.718.6371).
I scooped up this cute Rory Beca romper at Marshall’s a few weeks ago. It’s an easy piece to dress up or down and it’s supremely comfortable in the hot weather we’ve been experiencing lately. I paired with with flat sandals and simple jewelry but I think it would also look great with strappy heels and a red lip.
I recently updated my boutique with a few of the items I’m currently loving. Here’s a run-down…
Let’s talk beauty. I am a total beauty product junkie and am constantly changing my skincare routine. I do have some standbys (Clarisonic skin brush, Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Exfoliating treatment) but when it comes to moisturizer and eye cream, I’m always on a quest to find the perfect product. I recently tried out a few new products and have added them to my daily routine. Here’s the down-low.
1. M-61: M-61 is the new skincare line by Marla Malcolm Beck, the CEO of Bluemercury. The company sent me a couple of lab samples recently, and so far, so good. The hydraboost moisturizer is packed with peptides (they help fight wrinkles) and contains tamarind and aloe. It also contains hyalauronic acid, which helps plump the skin. The best part? It hasn’t negatively affected my hyper-sensitive skin—i.e., no breakouts, no redness. Gentle, but effective. Clearly, Beck knows her stuff. She’s the CEO of a multi-million beauty company that sells products from big names like La Mer, Bobbi Brown and Darphin, so I imagine she did a lot of research before formulating her own line. I think her products can easily go head-to-head with any of the bigger names.
2. NARS Nourishing Eye Cream: This stuff is my jam. It’s honestly one of the best eye products I’ve ever used—perfect consistency, absorbs really well and seems to be making a noticeable difference in the smile lines around my eyes. Also, it comes with a handy little applicator, so you don’t have to put your fingers in the jar (which makes the entire process far more glamorous and much less, er, germy.) I don’t yet have a lot of lines on my face, but I do live in Florida, so preventing wrinkles is pretty key in these parts.
3. NARS EFA Night Infusion: I use this product like a serum, applying it about five minutes before I put on moisturizer. It’s very light and contains hyalauronic acid and other fatty acids—it helps my nightly moisturizer absorb and sinks deep into skin to nourish and repair skin cells.
4. DDF Firming Cream: This product is pretty pricey and I wouldn’t normally shell out $150 for face cream, I was lucky enough to find a jar atMarshall’s for just $29.99. It’s thick, so I like to apply it at least an hour before my head hits the pillow (otherwise, I fear the product won’t have the chance to penetrate my skin). Also, the smell is kind of strange, but you get used to it. It helps to fight free radical damage (a huge plus if you live in a sunny place like Florida) and has a tightening effect. When I wear it, my skin really glows. (The directions say you can apply it AM or PM, but I think it’s a little too thick to wear during the day, so I slather it on post-serum before bed.)
5. Ole Henriksen Truth Creme Advanced Hydration: I love Ole Henriksen products, particularly anything from the “Truth” line. It smells overwhelmingly of oranges (I’m talking really, really, strong) but contains a lot of good stuff—Vitamin C, which boosts collagen production and brightens your skin, and it promotes cell turnover and brightens your skin. I use this in the AM.
Shop my routine: